Wednesday 25 April 2012

my first nct class

I just got back from my first NCT class and it wasn't as painful or cringe-worthy as I thought it would be! 

A bit of background for those that don't know, the NCT (National Childbirth Trust), is a charity in the UK that supports parents. They run antenatal classes, breastfeeding support groups, social events and lots of other stuff for parents.

Mr M and I signed up for a 6 week antenatal course that is being run in village about 15 minutes from where we live and tonight was the first night. Including us, there were 6 couples in attendance.

The night consisted mostly of introductions to the NCT and each other and a background of different events and social activities that our branch runs. We chatted about the local hospital where we will all be giving birth, then went through a brainstorming session in small groups listing out things we want to learn in the course. Finally the instructor showed us some diagrams of a pregnant women's body as she goes through different stages of pregnancy - that was pretty mind-blowing. I can't believe how squished up my internal organs are at the moment! 

Overall, I thought it was really good fun. There were some awkward moments, like having to do introductions and flip charts, but in general it felt really informal and relaxed. I think the best part was meeting other couples due all within a couple weeks from us. And to top it all off they provided free tea, coffee and chocolate!



2 comments:

  1. I'm glad it went well! Were the other couples around the same age, older, younger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to tell. I think some were older, some younger, but all of us seemed to be around the same age of late 20s and early 30s. x

      Delete