Monday 9 July 2012

forty weeks pregnant

Pregnancy day 280...0 days to go!

Baby is now 20 inches long and weighs about 7.5 pounds

So today is my due date and I'm still pregnant, yep - still here and no sign that baby is going to be making an appearance anytime soon! I read today that fewer than 5% of women deliver on their due date, but 50% deliver within 1 week of their due date. So I suppose it's not a big deal that I'm still pregnant and perhaps baby just needs a couple more days to cook before entering the big world. He seems pretty comfortable and continues to make lots of movements. I am feeling well too, if not a little uncomfortable at times, especially when walking. I have a midwife appointment later today where I'm sure we will discuss next steps. 

I am terrified of being chemically induced though and am considering refusing chemical induction prior to 42 weeks, if it's offered before this time. This is because there are a number of risks with chemical induction, namely increased risk of:
  • Fetal distress  and therefore the baby needing special care after birth
  • Forceps or vacuum delivery (ouch!)
  • Epidural
  • C-Section
  • Placental and Uterine rupture
Also, it would mean that I would have to go to the consultant unit and would probably need to be continuously monitored which would restrict my movement. Of the 3 women I know who had babies in the past couple weeks, only the woman who was chemically induced had a C-Section. The other 2 women who went into labour naturally had vaginal births. So yeah, I'm a bit scared. But if the time comes where I must be chemically induced (because sometimes the benefits of induction would outweigh the risks) I will deal with it...it's just a little scary. 

This past week I have been very busy. I met up with various friends, saw the Olympic Torch run through a village near-by, celebrated my 7-year anniversary with hubby and went out for a meal and did lots of cooking and baking. 

This week coming I am not quite as booked up, only because I don't know when I might go into labour! I'm actually a little excited about contractions starting though....as strange as that sounds. 



3 comments:

  1. I'm totally with you on the notion of having as little medical intervention during birth as possible...I'll be praying for a safe birthing experience SOON for you and the little one, Cheryl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how exciting! I hope he doesn't keep you waiting too much longer. I was induced with both my labours and they were very positive experiences. Both times were fairly quick and with only gas & air. My midwife was amazing and was keen to keep it all as 'natural' as possible. Most hospitals now have wi-fi monitors so you can keep mobile and active during labour.Anyway all the best and I'll be looking out for your birth announcement! xx

    ReplyDelete