Saturday 13 April 2013

real nappies (and other thoughts)

I received an email today about Real Nappy Week (15th - 21st April) and it immediately reminded me of this time last year, when I decided to take the plunge and purchase a full set of cloth nappies.

It also reminded me that I haven't posted an update on how we are doing with cloth and what I thought about the Bum Genius Freetime nappies that make up the majority of our stash. So here is a long overdue update.



Overall, I love our cloth nappies. The Bum Genius Freetime nappies are fantastic. I highly recommend them; they are easy to wash and dry, simple to put on, and provide a nice snug fit. We also love the Tots Bots EasyFit nappy and the FuzziBunz Elite nappy (pictured on Nate above at 3 months old). I think if I were to start from scratch with my stash, I would purchase some more velcro nappies. Most of mine have snap enclosures and therefore aren't as adjustable around the waist as velcro. But other than that I love my nappies.

However, I have to admit that we do not use cloth nappies full time. We use disposable nappies at night and also when we are out of the house for more than a few hours. So I would estimate that Nate is in cloth half of the time. 

At first I felt really bad about not using cloth all the time, especially after spending so much money on my stash. But the thing is, since becoming a mother I have learned a lot about myself as a person.  And above all else, I have learned that I am not a person of extremes - I am a moderate when it comes to parenting and probably when it comes to most other things in my life. For example, I baby-wear, but also use a stroller; I co-sleep, but also use a crib; I use cloth nappies, but also disposable nappies; I breastfeed, but Nate has had formula a few times; I do baby-led weaning, but also feed Nate purees; the list goes on. 

Being the moderate, flexible, non-extremist mom that I am has its advantages, I can adapt to situations and do things how I want and in which ever way works best for us. I like to think I'm carving my own path into motherhood rather than following a prescriptive philosophy. But it also means that I don't fit completely into any of the mommy camps out there. I feel like I'm too hippie for the traditional moms and too conservative for the hippie moms. Maybe I should start a "left-of-center mom group for the slightly hippie non-extremists". Who's with me?

Okay, I have now completely deviated from the cloth nappy theme of this post, but hey this is my blog and I can't be bothered to do any editing on a Saturday morning.  


We are off to swim class now. Happy weekend everyone!



Click here to get future blog posts delivered to your inbox



2 comments:

  1. Sound like me! I can join your group! I would rather be flexible to change any day than be frustrated when things dont go like they say in the books lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be in your group, Cheryl, because I know just what you mean about being a little too hippie for mainstream mamas and a little too flexible for those die hard granola mamas! :D

    ReplyDelete