Thursday 29 March 2012

commuting with a bump


in the tube on the way home
 
Yesterday I commuted into London for a morning meeting. My boss was nice and let me work from home for the afternoon, but the busy morning journey into the city made me think about all the gloriously uncomfortable features of a long commute with a bump.

I'm not yet at the point of my pregnancy where my bladder constantly feels like it's about to burst (I still have that to look forward to), but I have been getting more uncomfortable as my bump grows and, let me tell you, my commute is not a short one. I know it could be a lot worse - but on a typical day I sit in the car for 1.5 to 2 tedious hours. When I go into London, it's a round trip of 4 hours! 

Some things I've learned: 
  • People will probably not give up their seat for you on the tube unless you stare them down and point blatantly at your bump so be prepared to stand for your tube journey and wear comfortable shoes. You could get one of these "baby on board" tube badges from Transport for London - but I wouldn't count on people noticing that either.  
  • If you are taking a long tube journey and you start to feel light-headed and really can't get a seat, get off the train and sit down at a bench in the station for a few minutes. During rush hour the trains are only a minute or two apart so even doing this a few times will only increase your commute by 10 minutes at most. Better to be 10 minutes late than to pass in front of a bunch of grumpy London commuters!
  • Try to time you beverages throughout the day so that you still get in all your fluids, but don't drink anything an hour before your journey and use the toilet before you go. Getting stuck in traffic with a full bladder is much more painful with a baby sitting on top it!
  • Invest in a wedge cushion to put behind your back in the car, especially for your third trimester. Sitting slightly slumped back in a bucket seat for 2 hours a day can cause baby to be in a bad position (back to back) which will make labour more difficult and painful.
  • A lot of babies (including mine) like the sound of bass on the radio and will keep you company by kicking a lot during your drive if you have a loud song on. They also like the sound of your voice so sing along if you know the words (or even if you don't!)
  • When sitting on a train, try to stand up every hour or so to stretch your legs. In the car, don't be afraid to pull over in a safe area and take a pit stop to do the same if the trip is longer than an hour.

Are there any tips you can share from your experiences commuting? Share them below!

Happy commuting! x

No comments:

Post a Comment