Friday 15 February 2013

e.n.t. update

The other day I posted about a small lump in Nate's ear canal and our upcoming appointment at the E.N.T department in the hospital. If you want to read the original post you can find it here. The appointment was yesterday.

I met up with Mr M around 2pm at the hospital and the 3 of us meandered our way through the long halls of the hospital until we found the E.N.T. department tucked into a back corner. 

Nate was in a good mood and spent his time mostly immersed in a shiny twisty toy we found in a basket in the corner of the waiting room. 

We got called in by the nurse after about 30 minutes. The doctor bounced out of his seat when entered the room. He was a large eastern European man with a booming voice, a thick accent, and heaps of energy.

He had a quick look in Nate's ear.


"Oh yes, I have seen this before many of times. It is a....how do you call it....atheroma....sebaceous cyst...fatty pocket. We just need to poke it with a needle and pfffffffffffft squeeze out the fat"

My eyes widened. 

"You want me to poke it? With a needle!? When I get home!!?"

"Oh no, no, no, we do that here in hospital. Surgical procedure under general anesthesia."

General anesthesia  The words I was hoping I wouldn't hear. I don't want my baby to be put under for such an insignificant thing as a..."fatty pocket". 

The doctor must have sensed my disappointment. He immediately said that we can wait 6 months and come back to have it examined again. He said we can "give him time to grow a little" before undergoing the procedure. I felt some relief at this. At least we don't have to think about it now; but eventually he will have to have it removed. And I will have to see my little man be put under. 

Although I am not looking forward to that day, I am so soooooo happy that the lump turned out to be nothing serious. 


2 comments:

  1. That's great news! So glad it's nothing serious & you don't have to deal with it right away! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah it's such a huge relief! I'm just going to try and forget about it now for a while x

      Delete