Monday 25 February 2013

on sleep training


Now that Nathan is well over six months old, the question of sleep training seems to be the hot topic at my baby groups.

Sleep deprived mums clutching strong cups of coffee and wriggly babies ask the other mums in the room for advice. They want sleep, lots of sleep, but they don't want to leave their child crying alone in a dark room either. They are lost.

I feel lost too. I am usually the mum in the corner of the the room listening, taking in the advice being dished out, but not getting involved. That's because I never really believed in sleep training. I have never forced Nathan to cry himself to sleep, never denied him a night feed, never done any training. (Well, actually, one night we tried the pick-up, put-down technique but we got to pick-up number 65 (!) and quit).

But you see...I was eavesdropping as usual last week at my Tuesday group and got all confused. A Health Visitor had joined the group and she said the official stance is that babies over 6 months old should "all be capable of sleeping through the night". And if they don't the parents should "do controlled crying to get them to sleep through".

So then I started to feel guilty (you know, the usual mom guilt thing). Was I denying my child sleep because I didn't want to sleep train? Was a few hours of crying actually for his own good even though it went against everything I believed in?

I went home and had a cup of tea and mulled the whole thing over. I was still confused, but I was also angry. Angry that no matter what choice I make I will feel guilty. If I don't sleep train, the Health Visitors will make me feel guilty that my child isn't sleeping through the night; if I do sleep train I will feel guilty for letting my baby cry. 

Nathan has never slept through the night, but I just don't think I am ready to let him cry himself to sleep. I may never be ready. [By the way, I don't have anything against people that do sleep train. I know they do it for the right reasons, but it is just not for me...at least not right now.] 

In my confused state, I started reading different articles online, and I found comfort in this statement from the Kellymom website...
Remember that night waking in babies and young children is normal and temporary! 
Children grow out of night waking, even when we do nothing to discourage it. This period of time will be a very tiny part of your child’s years with you.
So I am going to just ignore the Health Visitors for now and continue to remind myself that this is all temporary. 


6 comments:

  1. Oh, it's such a personal decision isn't it? I topic that's often on my mind, too! We let Daniel cry it out, a 10 months, we were told to by our HV because he 'shouldn't be waking in the night any more, it's habit' and it worked but it was HARD. With Joshua I wasn't sure I could, but after a few nights of getting up every hour I was desperate. Now he only cries for a couple of minutes before falling asleep, but his naps have diminished to 20 minutes! I'm sure sleep training has made him worse, as he wakes up screaming too! Sorry to blurt all this out but thankyou for letting me get it off my chest! You do whatever you're happy with for Nate, you know what's best! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so tough isn't it? It's one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations. I feel like the HVs makes it worse because they say our babies should be sleeping through at a certain age, but surely all babies are different? I'm glad it worked with Daniel, maybe Joshua just needs a little more time before he is ready? x

      Delete
  2. Hell yeah - they do loads of different stuff the whole time! My child is still not completely predictable. She sleeps through unless there's something wrong - mainly teething. Teething ruins everything! lol x I never did anything to encourage her to sleep, she slowly found her natural rhythm and the times she wakes up I deal with it how I see fit - sometimes I give her a bottle, sometimes I let her cry it out, sometimes I just give her a hug and rock her back... Mummy knows best. That's the only truth in it. It just takes you having confidence in yourself to find what works for you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god - I dread the teething...! It's good to hear that you did nothing to encourage your daughter to sleep through, I suppose it's all just a matter of time until they all do x

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you're listening to your instincts! Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for that. Night waking is not just normal - it's healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I agree with you 100%...my confidence just gets knocked sometimes by the Health Visitors. I definitely need to listen to my instincts more. x

      Delete